HIV treatment monitoring and antiretroviral drug resistance in South Africa - Research Internship
Scientific Internship in the context of a large ongoing randomized clinical trial on HIV treatment monitoring and antiretroviral drug resistance in a rural South African setting. Application is open to senior medical students with an interest in HIV, Infectious diseases, Public Health and Epidemiology.
Tasks & Activities
1: Assist in ongoing research activities of a large-scale randomized clinical trial comparing a novel strategy for laboratory monitoring during antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infection with the current standard of care in South Africa.
2: Performing research with the objective to answer an epidemiological/virological research question in the framework of above clinical trial, with several possible research topics:
- The prognostic value of quantitative measurements of adherence to antiretroviral therapy for prediction of therapy failure and resistance to therapy.
- The predictive value of social, psychological, economical and medical factors at baseline of antiretroviral therapy on subsequent therapy adherence as measured by pill counts, adherence scores, and plasma drug levels
- The medical and virological characteristics of patients with poor outcomes (viremia, default, death, etc…) within 6 months of initiating antiretroviral therapy
3: Observe the provision of medical care in a resource-limited setting in rural South Africa
- Internship report as per curriculum requirements
- Two presentations at study site (one on research design, one on research findings)
- One presentation for the translational virology research group (Medical Microbiology, UMC Utrecht)
- Students have to arrange finances for housing and transport (rental car)
- Housing is readily available at affordable price
- Help with applying for grants is available
Deze website maakt gebruik van cookies
Deze website toont video’s van o.a. YouTube. Dergelijke partijen plaatsen cookies (third party cookies). Als u deze cookies niet wilt kunt u dat hier aangeven. U kunt dan geen video’s op deze website zien. Wij plaatsen zelf ook cookies om onze site te verbeteren. Deze gegevens worden niet aan derden verstrekt. Lees meer over het cookiebeleid.